The impact of Hotel con Corazón in Granada is twofold:
- All profits are invested in education.
- We create a "good business" with healthy profits and stable jobs. By applying sound business principles we set an example for our employees, suppliers, competitors, and partners. We facilitate the professional development of our employees and encourage them to move on to new opportunities.
Our investment in education has three components:
1) We run our own education programs in Las Lagunas, a rural area on the outskirts of Granada. Six qualified teachers provide catch-up classes, homework support and parental guidance. The results are more than encouraging:
- We have supported more than 300 children to finish their education.
- The average grades of the children in our program are better than their peers.
- Parents in the community recognize the value of education ever more. The interest in participating in our program is on the rise and drop-outs are decreasing.
- Due to the Corazón program, more children have finished primary school and demand for secondary school is increasing significantly. Therefore the Ministry of Education has opened a secondary school in this area.
2) We provide grants for students to attend good-quality secondary schools and universities.
- The first student with a Corazón grant graduated from university in 2014.
3) We give financial support to two local NGOs also working in the field of education for disadvantaged children:
Expected impact from future hotels
All new hotels will also invest their profits in education. In Granada we learned that running our own education program is an intensive part of the project. Where possible the new hotels will partner with existing NGOs that support underprivileged students. Only when suitable NGOs cannot be found will we develop education programs ourselves. The valuable lessons learned in Granada will serve us in determining the most efficient activities to be carried out.